What is a Naturopathic Physician?
Naturopathic Physicians (Naturopathic Doctor) are primary care doctors and do everything from helping coordinate your health care needs to providing specialized care. Naturopathic physicians have advanced training in botanical medicine, mind body medicine, pharmacology, craniosacral therapy, osseous manipulation, and homeopathy. Your ND may do annual exams, imaging, ordering labs, and referrals.
Naturopathic philosophy trains ND’s to use treatment that is of the least harm to that individual while supporting the mind, body, and spirit to define and facilitate the individual’s optimal health.
First do no harm (Primum Non Nocere)
The healing power of nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae)
Identify and treat the cause (Tolle Causam)
Doctor as teacher (Docere)
Treat the whole person (Tolle Totum)
Naturopathic Therapeutic Order
1. Establish the conditions for health (Determinants of Health and removing Obstacles to Cure)
2. Stimulate the Vis Medicatrix Naturae (intrinsic ability to heal)
3. Tonify weakened systems
4. Correct structural integrity
5. Address pathology: Use natural substances (Herbs, Supplements, and Homeopathy)
6. Address pathology: Use pharmacologic or synthetic substances
7. Suppress or surgically remove pathology